The Samsung Galaxy A mid-range line has been updated annually and looks really good. The new Galaxy A33 is probably one of the most interesting models of this year, as it has undergone significant improvements since the Galaxy A32 and represents an excellent blow for a buck at 300 euros.
The Galaxy A33 5G has been promoted to a waterproof league and now has the same IP67 intrusion protection as higher level models. Until now, A3x models have not been sealed against water. But that’s not all, of course.
The Galaxy A33 retains the Galaxy A32’s 90Hz Super AMOLED screen, but uses the much more powerful Exynos 1280 chipset with a newer processor and gaming graphics. And there’s also an integrated 5G modem, so you don’t have to choose between 4G and 5G versions now.
The camera has also been improved. Now the primary 48MP is equipped with optical stabilization and supports shooting up to 4K video. The 13MP selfie camera can handle 4K videos.
The Galaxy A33 also brings stereo speakers, which in previous generations was reserved for A5x and higher models. Finally, but no less important, the Galaxy A33 now supports faster 25W cable charging.
Let’s go through the whole specification sheet now.
A brief look at the specifications of the Samsung Galaxy A33 5G:
- Body: 159.7 x 74.0 x 8.1 mm, 186 g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic frame, plastic back; Dust / water resistance IP67 (up to 1 m for 30 minutes).
- Display: 6.40 “Super AMOLED, 90Hz, 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 411ppi.
- Chipset: Exynos 1280 (5 nm): Octa-core (2×2.4 GHz Cortex-A78 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G68.
- Memory: 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (uses a shared SIM slot).
- OS / Software: Android 12, One UI 4.1.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f / 1.8, 26 mm, 1 / 2.0 “, 0.8 μm, PDAF, OIS; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.2, 123˚, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 um; Macro: 5 MP, f / 2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 13 MP, f / 2.2, (widescreen), 1 / 3.1 “, 1.12 µm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30 / 120fps; Front camera: 4K @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30fps.
- Battery: 5000 mAh; Fast charging 25W.
- Different: Fingerprint reader (below display, optical); Stereo speakers; Virtual proximity sensing.
However, these are not all updates, because since the Galaxy A32, two things have changed for the worse. The Galaxy A33 has no audio connector and the microSD bed is now shared with the second SIM option.
Nevertheless, we must say that we were attracted to the Galaxy A33 5G because it was clearly promoted to a position and can now be considered part of premium middle classes such as the Galaxy A53 and A73.
Unpacking Galaxy A33 5G
The Galaxy A33 5G is packed in one of the thinnest retail boxes we’ve ever seen, and we thought we’d find the phone all by ourselves.
Well, there is no charger in the retail package, but it was expected. And even though we didn’t see the cable at first, it turned out that there was a USB-C cable inside the thin paper tray.
The cable is compatible with 25W fast charging, so if you purchase a 25W Samsung USB-C charger or similar, you should use it immediately.