Hello and welcome! Equitypodcast about the business of startups, where we unpack the numbers and nuances behind the headlines.
This week Alex: was back with Grace and our new producer Teresa Loconsolo to kick off the week. We recorded right before this Monday morning Gary Tan announced that he was returning to Y Combinator as its president. Dang.
But we still had a good thread to talk about.
- Globally, stocks are not having a great day after having a rather rough time last Friday. That’s hardly bullish for the IPO market.
- Things weren’t much better in crypto land, with Bitcoin and Ether down from week-ago prices and NFT volumes remaining muted.
- And speaking of quiet, startup news aside from Y Combinator. — was modest over the weekend. The August slowdown appears to be both real and here. Frankly, startups could use a shot to approach 2021 levels of insanity. Could the Instacart IPO we’ve been eyeing be the catalyst we need?
- Another potential Good Vibes catalyst we’re keeping an eye on is if and when the Tether audit will finally happen?.
- Also in the news. Honda is gearing up spend a lot of money making batteries in the US; Indian mobile connectivity will improve in the next year; and: Meta and Indian conglomerate Reliance are teaming up for e-commerce.
Stock returns for the Wednesday Thursday live show. Chat soon!